Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Great Wall of China



yeah, i hiked that.








this bridge was not all that reassuring...but cool




So, today we visited the Great Wall of China, and it was awesome. Seriously. We hiked the wall for about 3 hours, and I couldn't even tell you how far we went. All of it was up, up, up, down a little, and up some more. It was pretty hot and everyone was drinking a lot of water, but we had a great time. The views were spectacular, and I never got tired of looking over the wall at the mountains. The hike was pretty strenuous because there was so much up and down, but mostly up, on uneven footing. However, the Wall being a huge tourist attraction, there were little Chinese ladies trying to sell us everything from t-shirts to bottled water. And man, are they persistent, they followed us for a long long time. And of course, they never got tired or looked even a little sweaty. Eventually, they gave me up as a bad job and went to badger someone else, but I have to hand it to them, they really tried. Along the wall, we saw a lot of people, mostly Westerners, who were going the other way, meaning that they had the easy route. But I didn't really mind. It was nice to get out of the city and do something. It was nice to actually see the sky and to be in wide open spaces, if only for a little while.
This past week was my second week of school. So far, so good. Chinese class has a lot of homework, but I do have two classes a day, and sometimes even three, so that is to be expected. There are a ton of extra curricular activities that SYA offers, and I want to do them all, but I know I cannot.
I cannot stress enough how unbelievably good most of the food is here. The dumplings are awesome, and so it the tea. I really like being able to try new food on a daily basis. For those of you who are curious, the most disgusting thing I have eaten here so far is McDonalds. seriously, as bad as it is in the US, in China, it is absolutely awful. For the record, I did not go willingly. Speaking of food, one of my friends, George, swears that he ate dog the other day. I don't doubt it, but I think it is absolutely hilarious that he didn't know until after he had eaten it.
Everything else is going well here. This week I hope things start to settle down a little bit more so I can figure out what it is feasible for me to do outside of school. I think Martial Arts would be fun, but we shall see. I miss you all and love you lots,
Stephanie

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

steph, i hope your ankle feels better. Martial Arts sounds fun, but remember American Sholin?

Anonymous said...

HI LIU SHIN TIAN!
we are your chinese class girl! Read blog in class and write to say hello. we have three chinese girls visiting us, and so we take time to play and write to you! We hope you have fun we never see you with boy like that. laura do nasty thing. you never forget us! write us please! miss you, technology girl!

Laoshi says "say hello. say i miss her too. girl, you never forget us!"

have fun zai beijing! you never know what happen with boy! can't wait hear!

Katie say nine month long enough have baby! have fun!

Uncle Steve said...

Dear Steph, Now you will be able to say "you kids now adays have it so easy, when I was your age we had to walk to school along the Great wall of China, Up hill, both ways" Now if you could only add in the SNOW it would be a true "no kidding, there I was" story. About this "Kung Fu" stuff. There is no extra year, smoke filled temple and exit test of taking the stone from the hand of the master is there??? Looks like a very interesting trip, when do ya'll study.

Anonymous said...

I'm not quite sure how you walked up the wall, and never had to walk down, but I do remember that it's very steep and difficult walking. Those little old ladies are the same ones that we used to see throwing their grandkids in through the windows of buses so that the kids could get them a seat. Really! You can't afford to get weak in your old age in China. Have you had any soup with chicken feet in it yet? Hey, don't they have any rowing over there? What with the Olympics and all...

Stephanie said...

i have not personally had chicken feet soup, but my friend has. he said it doesn't really taste like much, but the texture of the chicken feet is really weird. he said the turtle soup was much better. haven't found any rowing teams, i think i will be way too busy for that. already am.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph!
Glad to hear that everything is going well. Ryan and Joey both like the elephant topiary. Ryan says he has seen some of these pictures in the movie Kung Fu Panda. He told his Dad that the place in Kung Fu Panda is a real place. Ryan wants to take martial arts too.