Sunday, October 12, 2008

No pictures this week, sorry.

Well, it has certainly been another interesting week in Beijing. School is same as usual, plenty of Chinese homework to keep me busy every night. I do Tai Chi two mornings a week before school and martial arts one afternoon after school. Its really interesting stuff, mainly because our teachers don't speak English. Well, they might, but they just find it more entertaining to pretend they don't, either scenario is plausible. Anyway, its fun (for them) to try and figure out what they are saying. The Chinese students also find it pretty amusing to watch us stumble our way through martial arts. We must look pretty funny, I admit.

After living here for over five weeks, yes it has really been that long, I can't believe it either, I can safely make a few assertions. First off, my spelling has regressed substantially. Seriously. Spell check is a godsend. I try to spell everything with funny work order, or just flat out forget how to spell things. A little embarrassing. More important to my everyday well being is traffic. I think it is safe to generalize Beijing traffic to the entertainment of anyone who reads this blog. I have determined the hierarchy of traffic in Beijing. I shall go through the list from top to bottom because I feel like it.

Stephanie's Guide to Traffic in Beijing
Top: automobiles: this is a little general so there are many subcategories
sub 1
: black shiny cars. the bigger and shinier the car the more likely people will get out of your way. it helps if you have a PRC flag attached to your car somewhere too.
sub 2: other cars. there are a surprising number of Mercedes and BMWs.
sub 3: taxis. do not underestimate taxi drivers. they have no fear of death at all. weaving in and out of 6 lane traffic is a common pass time if they thing life is getting a little boring. taxis are exteremely cheap in Beijing compared with any other city I have been to.
sub 4: buses. a force to be reckoned with. they also have no problems weaving in and out of traffic. you are skeptical, I know, but its the whole no fear of death thing all over again. as a side note, you have not been on a crowded bus until you have been on a crowded bus in Beijing. barely enough room to breathe. and if you want to get off, the use of elbows is your best bet. you have to time it just right though so you aren't standing near the door but don't want to get off. not a good idea if you value your physical well being. the bus costs about 15 cents for inquiring minds who want to know.

Middle: Bikes, there are also subcategories here.
sub 1: automated bikes. not included in the automobiles because they use the bike lane. this is the best way to get around Beijing during rush hour (generally all waking hours). however, they are not too safe.
sub 2: regular bikes. traffic lights generally don't apply.

Bottom: Pedestrians
if you are walking anywhere in Beijing, remember you are on the bottom of the food chain. there is no pedestrian right of way. you have to yield to everyone else. don't push your luck here as hospitals in Beijing are best left untested. green lights are no guarantee of safety. generally cross the street quickly. also, never cross the street against the light following a native. if you think your safety is assured because you are following someone who knows what they are doing, you think wrong. this behavior is dangerous. I would know. tried it once, never again.

generally the speed limit is however fast you want to go. In the city, this isn't a problem because there is always traffic to slow you down. on the highway, however, no such luck. the official speed limit is 120 kilometers/hour (75 mhp for those of you who have to look it up every time like me), but that exists as a mere suggestion and is not enforced that I have seen.

So this can give you a pretty good idea of what it is like getting to and from school everyday.

This week looks like nothing too new, except living in one of the biggest cities in the world. So basically, something new everyday. I blink and there is a new store by my school with no warning. Its great. Most of the local kids go to McDonalds for breakfast, usually lunch, and dinner if they can manage it. However, there are many other places to eat which don't leave me wondering if what I ate was once alive or not and are much cheaper. tastes better too.

Went shopping with one of my friends yesterday. It seems that every person in Beijing does their shopping on Saturdays. We has to fight our way through the crowds to find anything. Didn't buy too much, but had a great time looking around. Found some interesting looking Chinese music that I am excited to listen to. Bargaining is lots of fun, I am going to come back and try to haggle with everyone. West Side Market here I come....
the weather here is really nice, one a really nice day I even get a reminder that the sky is really blue. sometimes, I can even see the mountains. The trees haven't changed color yet, though. I am looking forward to that, its supposed to be beautiful

thats all for this week. I miss everyone. It was great to talk to family on Skype, even though it was 8 in the morning here. I was up anyway thoug, just not awake.

Stephanie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph: Please post pictures of watermellons and 4 riders on bikes!!!