Thursday, September 13, 2012

This is Why We Ride

Last weekend, I went on a two day cycling trip with the Beijing Peloton, a group of foreigners living in Beijing who explore the mountains surrounding Beijing on the weekends. We met saturday morning, packed the bikes into vans, piled into another van, and set off for the mountains. A two hour van ride later, we were at our starting point for the day. So begins the ride!


The weekend's scenery was some of the most amazing I have ever seen. Since I spent the majority of the weekend on my bike, I didn't get the chance to take too many pictures, but the pictures I did take were absolutely stunning.





Lunchtime! We stopped at a small village nestled in between two mountains for lunch. At this point, no one was too picky about the food, but the noodles were pretty good.


I was greeted by this view on the start of my ride Sunday morning. Unbelievable!!


For once, I can't see the mountains because of smog, but because of actual clouds!



Post ride lunch... noodles seem to be really popular in the rural areas surrounding Beijing... not that I'm complaining!

Over all, the weekend's ride was a very challenging and rewarding experience. My first experience with Beijing's mountains was an incredible experience, and I hope to be able to get out of the city again. 

One of the most interesting things on this cycling trip was the chance to explore rural China on the seat of a bike. I had the chance to see, smell, and experience the rural areas surrounding Beijing. It was an interesting clash between the luxuries of a first world country (the luxury of an expensive sport) and people who cannot afford to eat meat weekly. The local people I interacted with on my trip were rural farmers who made a living selling fruit and bottled water to tourists and probably make less in a year than you spend every month on gas. 


Pollution Update!!
September 7: 180

September 11: 29
Everyday weather in Beijing, such as wind and rain, can clear up the weather for a day or two, but then it usually goes right back to unhealthy levels.

-Steph

No comments: