Tuesday, September 4, 2012

This week I set out to find the one professional cycling store in Beijing. Unfortunately, the store's location in the east of Beijing and my location in Western Beijing are not close and not very convenient via public transportation. Monday afternoon, I decided to venture across Beijing in an attempt to locate the store solely using public transportation. My first step was the 701 bus, which would take me to the western side of Beijing and near a subway line that would get me as close as possible to my desired location. Taking a bus clear across Beijing is no easy feat and took me about an hour, but along the way I just stood out of the way and observed everyday Beijing life. Something that impressed me the most was the willingness of people to stand up and offer their seat to children or the elderly without any hesitation whatsoever.

Finally reaching western Beijing, I discovered that I actually did not need to take the subway and walking would be faster. My route took me through a mostly residential neighborhood where foreigners are not common. I received a lot of stares, navigated my way through a few construction sites, and finally found the bike store. Total time en route: an hour and a half. I decided to take the subway back to my school because rush hour traffic would make the bus back an absolute nightmare.

Most people take the subway traveling to and from work in Beijing, but subways runs about every minute or so during rush hour so you can get where you are going, as long as you are willing to be squeezed into a subway car with barely enough room to breathe. Three subway transfer and another bus ride later, I was back at school. Total time: 2 hours. Total cost of my trip was RMB 4.8, or less than $1. China is truly an amazing place.

Pollution Update:

 September 3, 2012: 18
September 4, 2012: 42

No comments: